Forfeiture: Can I Get My Assets Back?

Anytime law enforcement officials find you with the proceeds of an alleged crime, they can legally force you to forfeit — or give up — the property. If an asset, whether it is a gun, a car or a house, is used in the commission of a crime, it can be lost to forfeiture.

If There's A Way Out, We'll Find It
Call Mark M. Cheser Toll Free: 1-866-456-9864

People arrested for drug crimes often face forfeiture of their cars, large sums of cash, or even their houses. In one of our cases, police took $100,000 worth of car parts from our client, saying they were purchased with illegal funds.

Recovering Your Property

At the law office of attorney Mark M. Cheser, we have been successful in helping our clients recover assets after seizure. You may be permitted to post a bond in the amount of the forfeited assets and then make a motion to recover the assets.

Our criminal defense lawyer has also defeated seizure of property through forfeiture by showing that the property is owned by an innocent third party, such as a mortgage lender, bank or an individual who was not involved in or aware of the alleged crime.

When The Penalty Doesn't Fit The Crime

Forfeiture has become increasingly common even in cases involving relatively minor crimes. For example, we have read about a couple charged with stealing some inexpensive clothes from their neighbor's mailbox who lost two cars and their home to forfeiture.

If authorities have seized your assets, it is important to contact our office as soon as possible to arrange a free consultation. You have a limited amount of time to file a forfeiture complaint.